The UK network of building surveyors and structural engineers providing reports

The UK Network of Building Surveyors and Structural Engineers
HomeAbout UsHow we workRequest QuoteContact UsJobs
Surveyors Reports
Valuation Only

Homebuyer Survey

Building Survey

Engineers Reports





EMC (Radio Waves)









Wall Tie

Party Wall

Structural Design
Expert Witness
Commercial Buildings
Training Courses

Party Wall
The "Party Wall etc Act 1996" applies throughout England and Wales.
The Act covers:

1. New Building works at or astride the boundary between two properties.

2. Structural work affecting an existing shared/party wall, including repairs, alterations, extending or reducing the wall, cutting into the wall and underpinning.

3. Excavating, or constructing foundations within three metres of a neighbour's building where the new foundations will go deeper than the neighbour's.

4. Excavating, or constructing foundations within six metres of a neighbour's building where the new foundations will cut a line drawn downwards at 45 degrees from the bottom of the neighbour's foundations.

If you are the owner proposing to have the works carried out, you must identify whether the works are governed by the Act. If so, you must serve statutory notice (one or two months depending upon which part of the building is affected) on the adjoining owners and get agreement to the building programme, before you start.

If your neighbours do not agree in writing, the preferred solution would be to appoint one surveyor to draw up a Party Wall Award. This surveyor should be independent and should not be involved in the design or specification of the works. If you cannot agree a surveyor, then each side should appoint their own surveyor. The Party Wall Award will set out what can and cannot be done in accordance with the Act.

If you are the adjoining owner and receive a party wall notice, you may agree to the proposed works if you are entirely happy that there will be no damage or consequences to your property. Otherwise, if you do not agree or if you ignore the notice, then you must agree to a single surveyor being appointed, or appoint your own. If your do neither then a surveyor should be appointed for you by the owner carrying out the works. Where a surveyor is appointed, a schedule of condition of your property will be prepared (in case any damage is caused) and a Party Wall Award will be prepared.

The owner who is carrying out the works normally pays the fees of the surveyors. Fees for such services vary according to the nature and extent of the works.

We can provide Party Wall Surveying Services.

If you would like to find out more about how we can help you with your requirement, please complete the following form giving us as much information as possible. Alternatively telephone us on 0800 0147 453 without obligation.

For our terms and conditions please click here

We cover the whole of the UK.

Registered in England : No. 4261391
The Stables, Rear of 60 the Avenue, Southampton, SO17 1XS
Tel: 0800 52 58 50   Fax: 023 8072 0788   Email:

house survey building surveyors surveyor structural engineers report engineer homebuyers reports homebuyer home buyer buyers subsidence valuation party wall act boundary walls expert witness crack cracks drainage repair repairs job jobs vacancy vacancies course training courses